Monday, March 2, 2015

Cookie Cutter Corporate

So, I sell Enterprise IT software and hardware. Mostly VMware based solutions, others where applicable. I've primarily been pre-sales, but I'm very technical and have done plenty of hardware in my day. Not everything, mind you, but I know the nuts and bolts of how each system works, so it's not a stretch to really stick my neck out and make suggestions.

That being said, I find that I'm flying solo in certain situations where... I really do need someone with hands on experience. I'm finding that a considerable amount of new hardware that's built is done from either previous experience or sheer dumb luck of putting the right pieces together. You can't fail in situations like that, or you lose credibility. So, you throw more money at the risk factors, which makes customization and fine tuning ... an exercise in futility.

The problem with Consumer vs. Enterprise is that a "wicked fast" system is, by orders of magnitude, more expensive. It's not like, back in the day, I could pirate the software and see that it's actually a good product... no, you buy it and hope it'll do the job you want it to.

That leads to this cookie cutter philosophy that most Vendors are adopting. Bundle this, bundle that, one price to do all sorts of awesome stuff, but that price is usually about 80% more than you really need to spend if you just selected all the right materials. It's the F-35 Aircraft budget problem. One size fits all, but not really.

WHAT I NEED is I need a junkyard full of new (and some old) parts that I can build from with impunity... then, through experience, I won't be questioning whether I'm making the right decision by using the piece-parts I chose.

Of course, in our mass production world, this really shouldn't be a problem. On paper it all looks good... until it's not on paper anymore and something doesn't work quite like you expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment